Monday, January 28, 2013

Victims to the Virus

This past weekend, the Kilwa volunteers from three different placements decided to come together to reconnect. We relaxed by the beach, sharing stories, experiences, highlights, and humorous lowlights. Most importantly, we were able to share on how we've been dealing with our run ins with culture shock. One story shared by another American volunteer breached even my farthest expectations of culture shock. She ran into an issue that doesn't just cross cultural boundaries, but one that stampedes the rights of mankind.

Before divulging the issues she came across, I want to backtrack to a conversation I had with one of my Tanzanian roommates. He asked me about the presence of HIV/AIDs in America. I tried to explain to the best of my knowledge, that it was present in pockets around the nation and it was something we worked toward vanquishing. He explained that the virus is very much so an epidemic in Africa. So, he wanted to know how it was that America could keep it at bay, for lack of better terms. His first assumption was that we had found a cure. Of course, I explained we didn't have a cure. Rather, our society focused heavily on preventing people from contracting the virus. Safe sex is a topic that most reasonably aged students are aware of, whether it be from home or school, starting at a fairly young age. While I tried my best to describe America's grasp on HIV/AIDs, I couldn't answer for him why the virus was still sweeping his nation.

One of my fellow American volunteers, however, did find some evidence for the big mystery. Apparently, in rural villages throughout Tanzania, there is a rumored misconception that having sex with a virgin will cure a person with HIV/AIDs. Therefor, people sentenced to the fatal virus subject others to their condition, in hopes he or she will be cured. This belief is disturbing, but unfortunately isn't the only piece to a grotesque puzzle. As is happening all over the world, children are starting to practice sexual activity younger and younger. In some rural Tanzanian villages, 10 years old is the average age a child loses his or her virginity. It is common for some students to have children in their early teens. While parents and mentors don't typically encourage the practice, there are exceptions. Men may come and offer money to a family who desperately needs it. In which case, the child is pushed towards accepting the man's proposal. That man, who may be one of many looking for a virgin to cure his virus, buys his perfect victim.

While I sat on the beach, spending a rare day to vacation while away, I was aghast with the culture I had began warming up to. My friend revealed this story along with other pieces of the culture she struggled with. Her information was from a direct source of someone who grew up in the Tanzanian villages. Her inquiries were confirmed by colleagues. Of course, I also wanted to seek validation, or more so, denial that this was true. I brought the issue to light with my two Tanzanian roommates, who both grew up in the city. They admitted that because of their urban roots, they knew less about these issues than they should. However, they seemed assured the if these practices are still ongoing, they are very rare.

I can't say my horror or nausea is at ease over this issue. I mourn for the children of the rural villages who have suffered the loss of their childhood. However, I promised my Tanzanian friends I wouldn't pass judgement on their culture as a whole, for the monstrous actions of some individuals.

1 comment:

  1. It sure sounds like your reward for teaching others, is the gift of learning about the issues of these people.... first hand that so many would never be aware even existed. I am enjoying your journey! XOXO I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete