Friday, January 18, 2013

The power of community

In Tanzania, a community is more than just houses built near each other. It's an interconnected family where members work together, rely on one another, and help each other out. Last night, my housemates and I decided it was time to visit our neighboring homes to introduce ourselves. While I could only really sputter out the basic greetings, the neighbors clearly expressed their gratitude to us for teaching out. I had a two year old march up to me and shake my hand. We were even invited in for sodas by a retired school district officer, which is a pretty high position in Tanzania. We all agreed we more peacefully last night after meeting the people around us.

Today, we experienced one of the most rewarding effects of joining the community bond. The two year old that shook my hand last night, kept running by today with an old beat down tire. I invited him over to play, and despite the language barrier, we giggled together for a while. He then called a friend over, which attracted some of the other neighborhood kids. Morgan, my housemate joined in, and then even a few more kids! At one point, we had about 10 kids under the age of seven playing catch with us.

As it happens in Tanzania, an unexpected severe storm hit with only a few seconds warning. We hid under our awning until it proved to be no protection from the rain. Instead, we invited the kids in where some sprawled out for a nap, and others enjoyed a movie (Disney's "Up," courtesy of one of my American students!). The two year old laid his head in my lap, shaking every time the thunder bellowed.

This afternoon play date proves our acceptance into the community. Unfortunately, Americans aren't always welcome in Africa. However, the neighborhood parents were comfortable with their children playing with us, and even taking shelter with us during the storm. The kids, despite their curiosity and initial weariness of us, trusted us to keep them safe while they were scared.

5 comments:

  1. “All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.”
    ― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful expirence for you , Jamie, so very proud of you ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful adventure! Enjoy! I LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete