Friday, January 25, 2013

It's a small world, after all!

I know it's cliché, but here I am halfway across the globe, being confronted with how small this world really is.

Yesterday afternoon, I sat on my front porch reading, when some of the village children excitedly ran over. They seemed to have kept gesturing to something on the side of my house, which I assumed to be more of their friends. However, I what I wasn't expecting was the gray haired white woman they brought around front. She said the children kept telling her more white people moved in nearby. They were even able to explain to her that we are teachers!

We shared our reasons for being in this little Kilwa village. Her and her husband have traveled and lived abroad for 27 years! This is just one of the many stops in their journey. They aren't working here, just experiencing the culture and lifestyle. The woman, locally known as "Mama Joshua" calls Texas home now, but said she grew up in Pennsylvania. Excited about the commonality, we kept narrowing in on where we are from, until we figured out we are both from Bucks County!

We shared a quick laugh over the irony. Never did either of us expect to meet someone from home while being halfway across the world in Tanzania. Additionally, it is definitely an added comfort to make an English speaking friend nearby!

No comments:

Post a Comment