Thursday, January 10, 2013

Home Sweet Temporary Home

Hi everyone!! I finally got my phone in sync so I can start blogging about my journey through Tanzania. We landed in Dar es Salaam late Sunday night and have been staying in Kinduchi at a resort called Maua Beach Rest House. We have running water, a western toilet, and a small pool. Here, this is luxury. Even though the shower only runs cold and I share a room with 4 other girls, I have already come to appreciate how lucky we are to be here.

My days mostly consist of WorldTeach training. We start sessions at 8:30 and go to 7 pm, with a couple hour break in the middle. We take Swahili lessons, review lesson plans, and discuss cultural boundaries.

Everyday when we walk through town, we are greeted excitedly by many of the local children. To them, all Americans are celebrity status. Feeling the excitement of the children helped warm me back up for my mission ahead, and ease my apprehension. The women are starting to warm up to us also, appreciating our attempt to converse in simple Swahili.

Today, our sessions didn't start until 4:30 because we traveled an hour to a bigger town. The town used to be used for slave trading and is filled with historical value. We walked further out of town to visit some of the natural beauty as well!





3 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Paulina. I live in Poland and I'm 21 years old.
    I suffer from Cystic Fibrosis. Four years ago I had a lung transplant. Feel
    You on my blog. Please stay the observer. I greet you cordially.
    Paulina

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey it is jenni and catryna!!! we miss you so much! :( this is a beutiful picture... have you seen any zebras?????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi girls!!! I miss you, too! I have tons of cow, chicken, and goat around my house. I've seen monkeys once. However, still no zebra! When I see some, I promise to send pictures! Thanks for checking in!!

      Delete