Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mzungu

'Mzungu,' which translates to someone who walks in circles, is the term most commonly used to label white people. I've been called Mzungu many times, by people of all ages. I have even seen souvenir t-shirts with the term branded on it. While the translation carries a somewhat negative connotation, the term really just labels how different we are to this country. And as is true everywhere, being different is welcomed by some and rejected by others.

There have been times I smiled at a stranger, only to be met with a steady blank face. Unluckier times, my smile is returned with a look of disgust. There have been times when I greeted someone, and they simply turned their back to me. My Tanzanian friends explained that people feel inferior to English speakers, so they try to hide that by not replying. However, I think my friends were just being nice.

Yesterday, I heard a young man approach saying something to the neighbor about mzungu. He then proceeded to come speak to me in English. Since the conversation seemed friendly, I was going to tell him I know what 'mzungu' means. However, I was caught off guard when the conversation quickly took a turn. The man, a representative from a Christian church, began challenging a lot of American political issues. He brought up equality between men and women, and homosexual rights. I explained to him that many people in America have different opinions on our various matters, however he kept challenging what I was sayings. He pulled numerous other matters into the conversation, ones I wasn't even clear on. I began to realize a few things: 1. His initial use of 'mzungu' wasn't intended to be friendly; 2. He assumed all Americans knew everything about every issue; 3. He was determined to make me feel inferior in front of our neighbors. Luckily, my Tanzanian roommates intervened.

However, not all uses of 'mzungu' are meant to be disrespectful. Many children, even as young as two years old, have called me Mzungu, out of sheer fascination. The local children who are still unable to say my name will come to the door looking for Mzungu. Yesterday, I heard the children shouting, and my roommate translated that they were planning to bring the Mzungu something. When I opened my door, they had freshly picked flowers waiting to hand me.

Anyone who has ever been labeled as "different" should now that for every person that judges you, there is a person who appreciates you! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wise words Jamie!.... "For every person that judges you, there is a person that appreciates you".

    Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wise beyond your years
    Love you and will await your return
    As we need that outback lunch xo
    Love you bunches
    Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete