Sunday, January 6, 2013

En route!

Officially en route to Tanzania!

I departed Washington D.C. around 6pm and just landed in Amsterdam. It is currently 8 am here, and still very dark!! Not the view I would like to wake up to everyday. It's also very cold here, so luckily we don't have to leave the airport at all, since we're all dressed for our upcoming warm weather.

Our next flight departs at 10:05am (Amsterdam time) and we arrive in Dar Es Salaam at 10:50pm (Tanzania time). There is a time difference, so its about a ten hour flight. I plan on sleeping and brushing up on some Swahili.

No one in the group knows quite where we are staying for the first two weeks of orientation, but presumably it is near the city. Halfway through orientation, we will finally be given our placement. I can't wait!

As of now, I am most nervous about the insects in Tanzania. I've heard horror stories, but can only hope my situation will be different. I've come to terms with the showering situation and the simplified lifestyle, but bugs are still the peak of my discomfort level. On the other hand, I am most excited to meet my students!! Even though, that's still a couple weeks away.

So, here starts my adventure of a lifetime!!

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting adventure! This is one of my favorite quotes and thought you might like it too.

    A #2 pencil and a dream can take you anywhere.
    Joyce Meyer

    ReplyDelete