Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Jifts

"Jift" is the common Tanzanian pronunciation of the American word gift. During my time here, I've tried repeatedly to correct this phonetic muddle, especially over the past few days. Unfortunately, since its one of the few common English words in Tanzania, people have been saying "Jift" for quite some time.

As I mentioned, gifts have been very present this week. On Monday, my last day teaching, I gave each of my students a blowpop. Even though these candies were purchased in Masoko, my students were delighted to find "Americandy" written across the wrapper. I've also received some gifts in return. During porridge one day, a student insisted on buying me a kachori, which is a potato wrapped in a donut, dyed bright red. Delicious and greasy! Today, a student brought a small bunch of fresh bananas, after learning that I liked them. Moments later, another student brought me some kashata, my new favorite Tanzanian treat! It's a mixture of sugar, nuts, and coconut (or so I guess), hardened to a crunchy square.

These "jifts" from my students are small, yet deeply cherished. Life in Tanzania is hard, and most students come from families who struggle for money. Seeing them go out of their way to share their appreciation is humbling and heartwarming.



No comments:

Post a Comment