Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It's what's underneath that counts

For anyone that has seen Sex and the City 2, there is a pivotal moment that embellishes a bit of Muslim culture. The Arabian women are shown lifting their niqabs to reveal fashionable and glamorous threads underneath. On the whole, the film caused a bit of a media stir for its satirical spin on Muslim culture. However, today I learned there is some truth to the scene.

After testing today, students had some free time to play organized games outside. The boys all ran off to the soccer field, while the girls played a game called Ready. As they ran around, I saw my students constantly lifting their skirts out of the way of their energetic legs. This is when I also noticed that most students actually wear a layer underneath their skirts. This is first and foremost a shocking to me, as the Mzungu, because I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear another layer in this heat! More so, though, it's charming that young Tanzanian girls are able to find ways to express themselves despite the constant uniformity.

Below, two of my students show off their decorated leggings. I find it important to note that Zuhura, on the right, is one of my sassiest students, so it's only suiting that she wears snakeskin leggings under such a monotone outfit.


1 comment: