Monday, February 25, 2013

Countdown

Two weeks from today, I will be touching down in America after 65 days away.
these final fourteen days of my trip are crammed with activity, so I know my flight will be here in the blink of an eye. This Friday, we move from our quaint village to Sultani's place, where we met the other Kilwa volunteers. We will stay at Sultani's until the following Wednesday. During this time, we have a debrief with our sponsors and help with program data entry. On Wednesday, some of us will leave for the city of Dar es Salaam. We will spend one night at a nearby safari, and the remainder of the time in the city itself. On the evening of Sunday, March 10th, after nine weeks in Tanzania, our group will head home.

Since talk of home has been more present in our conversations, my roommate and I have created a game of making silly countdowns. Rather than just make the days count, we've taken into consideration our common foods and activities. We've made a schedule to eat all our favorite foods this last week in or house. For example over dinner tonight, we said, "This is the last time we'll eat Dada's porridge with donuts." Some others from our list are: we only have to wash our hair once more by bucket, there's only 21 hours left of school, we'll only sleep in these beds four more times.

Hopefully, this countdown doesn't seem like we're rushing the next two weeks by, because I know that will happen on it's own. It's simply just a way for us to keep sane in the tougher moments of our final days. I'm grateful for the experiences I've had an all that I've learned, but I'm also excited to be reunited with my friends and family in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment